Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Buried Treasure


Buried treasure...where is my treasure? Can I find it when all about me is uncertain?
Layer by layer the things of this world seem to be stripped away. In the headlines, hurricanes remove edifices that once were home to many. Babies in China trustingly suckle milk that is poison. The stocks have been caught in the undertow and upwardly mobile dreams seem to be spiraling downward.
Where then do I place my hope?
1 Timothy 4:10 "....that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the savior of all men, and especially of those who believe."
Where then do I find my happiness and peace? 1 Timothy 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world and we can take nothing out of it."
Jesus himself said, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth where rust and moth destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven where rust and moth do not destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is your heart will be also." Mt.6:36-37
It is in times like these that we are forced to take a closer look. Where is my treasure?
If your true treasure is buried, I invite you to dust it off and take time to polish that which truly matters. Seek to lend a helping hand, put a smile on someone elses face, bake a loaf of bread for the soup kitchen, and sing a song of praise and worship. The ground beneath you will feel firmer. Your heart will beat lighter and your treasure will sparkle on the horizon.

No comments: