Sunday, September 28, 2008

Thank God for My Parents

This weekend in tradition of celebrating my mother's birthday, I went home. Traditionally my mother's birthday--for the past few years--has fallen on a weekday. This means I went alone-sans husband and kids. I had come to enjoy this time of being the only child to my parents--therefore, I selfishly chose to go alone this Friday afternoon to wake up to my mom on her birthday Saturday morning.

Along with being relaxing, I was reminded yet again--how truly lucky I am that my mom was born and chose to have me.--(along with my soulmate sis).

Those things that were taken for granted as a child--a mother who was consistent, fair and loving, a father--who has an amazing capability for invention and creating great meals from simple foods.--were brought to light. There were indeed a few moments when I had to hold back tears of great love and appreciation.

I am so proud, that my mother creates beautiful quilts out of scraps of materials. She helped to mold me into a confident, creative, and ambitious person despite my imperfections.

I am proud, that my father who always admonished--'life is what you make of it.' practices what he preaches as he squeezes so much out of each day.

The highlights of my weekend--
-Trying pickled egg plant and liking it! So much so, my father made me a batch and taught me the fine art of pressing eggplant.
-Going to Mass Sunday morning with my dad.

-Shopping with my mom at Target and being able to watch as she picked out a new jacket and scarf to accentuate her beautiful white hair.
-Visiting with an Aunt and cousin--just like old times.
-Playing 500 Rummy with mom and dad.
-Simply being loved for who I am.