Monday, September 7, 2009

No complaints.....here...well, most of the time....


Okay...I admit it. I've been complaining lately. I have the red marks on my wrist to prove it.

Well, let me explain. Awhile ago I had overheard via a morning news show that some people were working on becoming. --not tobacco free, caffeine free, sugar free or fat free, but complaint free. And, in order to break the complaint habit they were wearing a purple plastic bracelet on their wrist. The bracelet was a reminder to be free of complaints. Each time a person who wished to be 'complaint free' would have a complaint, murmur, or discontent about their life, they would switch their bracelet to the other wrist to help him/herself become more conscious of this thought process. Switching the bracelet would also be an opportunity to express gratitude and look at the positive rather than the negative.

Being overwhelmed, and irritated more often as a by product of stress, I thought, this might be a great plan as I am not happy with where these negative thoughts are leading me in my life. Saturday morning I took a thick rubber band and put it around me wrist to see if it worked. For the first half hour, the band went back and forth so often one would have thought I was wringing my hands in distress. In so many ways, I guess I was.

Interestingly enough, my two teenage daughters caught on and did a little wrist changing of their own by Saturday night. It was fun to have some company--after all doesn't misery enjoy such a thing?

Where am I today--just two days later? Well, a little better off. Sure, I have a long way to go, but it struck me. I have so much to be thankful for--despite these irritations and misgivings. If I were to die tomorrow, or if all this would suddenly disappear, who am I to complain? I've already had so much more than a great number of others. So I say 'thank you, Lord'.

Read Psalm 63: 1-5

Psalm 63:5...My Soul will be satisfied....

Check out: <<>>
Read Will Bowen's Book , A Complaint Free World

1 comment:

Will Bowen said...

Hi, this is Will Bowen, Founder of the Complaint Free World program. I got a Google alert that you blogged about us. Please know this, you CAN complete the 21 days without complaining. Thousands around the world have done it. You simply stay with it. Always know what day you're on and always celebrate the day.

Best,

Will Bowen